Good Morning, and Happy Friday!
This was my view as I pulled into work this morning. I had to get a closer look. I love that it rained all night last night. What a treat! This moment came and went so quickly. I feel so blessed to have had the chance to catch a quick glimpse of pure beauty!
Being thankful and feeling grateful for all that I have been blessed with is on my mind year round. I feel that during the holidays not only do I think about how grateful I am, but I also think about how I can give back to others, in hopes of spreading some of my good fortune. Even during difficult times in life, I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have such supportive and loving family and friends in my life. It is truly what makes each day so special.
I love giving homemade gifts each year. I try to make at least one handmade gift for Christmas for each person in my family. I am always looking for new ideas! This idea is great because my children could be involved as well. I found this DIY Marbled Clay Ring Dish idea on another blog called A Beautiful Mess. There are fantastic step-by-step instructions on their blog, and what I found is that there really is no wrong way to put this together. You can find everything you will need at Michaels. The Sculpey oven bake clay is easy to work with, and they offer a large variety of colors. Here are a few pics of my process:
1. You need white, grey, and black for your base, and then at least two other colors to mix in. You will need oven safe bowls to bake the dishes in. I found a 4 pack of the perfect size bowls at Costco. The marbled dishes will end up around 6 inches in diameter. It helps if you can set them in a bowl that is ever-so-slighty too small, in order to add a curve to the dish. Gold paint for the edging, and paintbrushes are the last items you will need for this project.
2. Next Roll each color out to about 5 inches in length. The white should be the largest rolls, black your smallest, and the grey along with your two colors should be around the same size.
3. One small square rolls out to this size.
4. You will then twist the rolls together, and roll back and forth until you achieve the marbled look.
5. Roll it out.
6. Place in the oven safe dishes, and bake at 275 for 15 minutes.
7. Paint the edges.
8. Presto, you have beautiful marbled dishes to hold your goods.
9. Please make sure to refer to the Beautiful Mess blog for precise step-by-step instructions.
I am in LOVE with these! They turned out perfectly! You could even use them to hold your place cards for Thanksgiving. Hopefully you will have as much fun as I did making this fabulous gift!!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!