It’s tough to find a skin care routine that works for me, and that actually does what it claims to do. I find that at my age, my skin has become more sensitive to many of the chemicals used in skin care products, as well as shampoo, deodorant, and toothpaste!
I remember in high school, I could use almost anything on my skin. In fact I used Victoria Secret’s Pear Body Wash as my face wash for many years. Moisturizer and eye cream were not part of my arsenal, and yet my skin was almost always breakout free, and lovely.
Fast forward twenty years, two children later, and we have a whole different story. 37 years old, with acne and rashes, YUCK!!! This past year I have been lucky enough to experience an annoying skin condition called “dermatitis”. I have tried everything from antibiotics (eew), to prescription creams to clear it up. After doing extensive research, I found that I needed to remove many of the products I have been using from my daily routine. There are several articles that support the idea of removing fluoride from your toothpaste, sulfates from your shampoo and toothpaste, parabens, etc. Products which contain endless lists of ingredients, most likely contain too many chemicals.
My new skin care line up contains several products which I feel are sensitive skin friendly. All products can be found at pharmaca. If you have a location in your city, I highly recommend going there for a visit. They almost always have an aesthetician in the store to assist you with your skin care needs.
- CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser– A lightweight non-scented cream cleanser, good for use morning and night.
- CeraVe Eye Repair Cream- Great Non-greasy eye cream, which my dermatologist claims rivals the majority of fancy department store eye creams.
- Weleda Soothing Almond Facial Oil- I use this every night after washing my face. My skin looks and feels happy in the morning. I feel like it evens out my skin tone.
- Avene Thermal Spring Water- Great for itchy or irritated skin, and the perfect product to spritz over your made-up face, to appear less caked on, and more dewey.
- Avene Skin Recovery Creme- Love this everyday moisturizer. Few ingredients, no chemicals, non-greasy, all around perfect product for your skin.
- St. Ives Oatmeal and Shea Butter Body Lotion- Lightly scented, fabulous daily moisturizer. Leaves skin feeling moisturized with no greasy residue, or chalky feel.
- Schmidt’s Bergamot + Lime Deodorant- The first non-aluminum deodorant I have tried that I actually like the scent, and feel, AND it actually works!! Yay for Schmidt’s and happy Pitts!
Having tried hundreds of products, I feel my current routine is one that might actually stick around. I love that these are all affordable, and I feel great about not putting so many chemicals on my skin!